Danmarks største dating side Odder
In 1720, Frederick IV ordered the rebuilding of Odense Palace, partly on the foundations of the 13th century St.
Hans’s Monastery, and the construction of St Hans’s Church by the Knights Hospitallers.
By road, Odense is located 45 kilometres (28 mi) north of Svendborg, 144 kilometres (89 mi) to the south of Aarhus and 167 kilometres (104 mi) to the southwest of Copenhagen.
Nonnebakken, one of Denmark's former Viking ring fortresses, lay to the south of the river.
The city celebrated its thousandth anniversary in 1988, commemorating the first mention of the town's name in a letter dated 18 March 988 from the German Emperor Otto III which granted rights to Odense and neighbouring settlements.
The territory, previously part of the vast Archbishopric of Hamburg, was created a Catholic diocese in 988.
An 8 kilometre (5.0 mi) long, 7.5 metre (25 ft) deep canal from Odense Harbour to Odense Fjord was built between 17 to facilitate the growth of Odense as a port city, radically increasing its level of trade and population.
From the 1840s, the city enjoyed a period of rapid expansion beyond its traditional boundaries, becoming Denmark's second largest city.