P n gadgil online dating
The territories were later surrendered on 25 October 1535.
They called the islands by various names, which finally took the written form Bombaim.
The islands were leased to several Portuguese officers during their regime.
The Portuguese Franciscans and Jesuits built several churches in the city, prominent being the St.
It is not exactly known when these islands were first inhabited.
Pleistocene sediments found along the coastal areas around Kandivali in northern Mumbai suggest that the islands were inhabited since the South Asian Stone Age.
From 1665 to 1666, the English managed to acquire Mahim, Sion, Dharavi, and Wadala.Michael's Church at Mahim (1534), The Portuguese also built several fortifications around the city like the Bombay Castle, Castella de Aguada (Castelo da Aguada or Bandra Fort), and Madh Fort.The English were in constant struggle with the Portuguese vying for hegemony over Bombay, as they recognised its strategic natural harbour and its natural isolation from land-attacks.Along with the neighbouring regions of the Mumbai Metropolitan Region, it is second most populous metropolitan area in India, with a population of 21.3 million as of 2016 For centuries, the islands were under the control of successive indigenous empires before being ceded to the Portuguese Empire and subsequently to the East India Company when in 1661 Charles II of England married Catherine of Braganza and as part of her dowry Charles received the ports of Tangier and Seven Islands of Bombay.Along with construction of major roads and railways, the reclamation project, completed in 1845, transformed Bombay into a major seaport on the Arabian Sea.