Pioneer school essex website development
The apple harvest was apparently quite impressive and included "Harrison" and "Canfield" varieties.By 1815, there were approximately 30 families in the village.There were 8,240 households out of which 42.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.8% were married couples living together, 14.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.7% were non-families.19.1% of all households were made up of individuals, and 9.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older.
The center of town is dominated by Memorial Park, a design of the Olmsted Brothers.
It became a stagecoach stop between Newark, Jersey City (then Paulus Hook), and Morristown and thereby a center for trade and light manufacturing.
The village changed its name from North Farms to Middleville in 1830, and then to Hilton in 1880 when it was granted a post office.
The first European settlers arrived around 1675, primarily English, Dutch and French Puritans who had earlier settled Hempstead, Long Island, and Stamford, Connecticut, via Newark and Elizabeth.
They had acquired most of today's Essex County from the Native Americans and followed three trails that roughly correspond to South Orange Avenue, Springfield Avenue, and Ridgewood Road.